Angel Food Cake
Cake can be served with whipped cream and fresh berries, or frosted with a lemon or chocolate glaze.
- 12 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp almond extract, optional
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Continue to beat egg mixture, adding granulated sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time. Be sure each sugar addition is dissolved before adding the next.
- Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Beat in vanilla and almond extract, if desired.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift powdered sugar, flour, and salt together twice. Sift about 1/2 cup of the flour mixture over egg whites. Fold gently just until flour disappears. Do not stir. Repeat sifting and folding in flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10 x 4-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter with metal spatula to release any air pockets. Bake in center of 375°F oven until top springs back when lightly tapped with finger, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Invert cake in pan, with tube resting on a bottle. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
- To remove cake from pan, run a thin knife between side of pan and cooled cake to loosen all around, taking care not to tear the cake. Repeat, running knife between center tube and cake.
Calories from Fat 2 (2%)
(0%)Total Fat 0g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 27g
(1%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
The information presented in Health Notes is for informational purposes only. It is based on scientific studies (human, animal, or in vitro), clinical experience, or traditional usage as cited in each article. The results reported may not necessarily occur in all individuals.